Trumpet Etude #1

I've decided to focus on writing different trumpet etudes to challenge myself and experiment with different musical ideas.  This one focuses on the use of false fingering (1 and 3 for middle G) to create a perpetual motion effect, and pairing it with odd measure groupings.  I've been interested in trumpet music that is "self-accompanied" (a la last movement of Carnival of Venice) and this was one piece of I've written with that concept in mind as well. 

The challenges in learning to play this were
1)Tongue coordination and timing
2)Breath control
3)Accuracy through consecutive leaps
4)Not letting my lips spread during the lower phrases
5)Fighting finger stupidity during all the false-fingered notes.

I'm pretty pleased with the results of the piece, but a little less so with the performance I include here.  In an ideal world I would be circular breathing through the whole thing- but I don't think I'm ready to go down that particular path.  I'm not that masochistic.  And there are a few flubs here and there, but this performance will have to do.


Comments

Popular Posts