Practice Log #2

I've been working on the clarke's based exercise from my first post (here), and expanded the exercises to include two voicings, alternating measure by measure.  I chose to continue with minor 6 chords, but with the second chord based a major third under the first and using an inversion that voice leads with the first chord. This creates the impression of a V7altered chords (the notes of the secondary minor  chord line up with the 3rd, b13, b7, and b9 or the V chord.)
I'm pleased with the effect of this exercise, it creates a strong harmonic effect and the voice leading can be clearly heard.  In considering this in terms of "real-world" applications, I think it would be very effective over modal vamp songs as a way to create tension and release. 
Some easy variations would be to sub out the first chord with a major seven chord (Or something that could replace a 1maj 7 sound- like E-7 for a Cmajor 9 chord, as shown here).

Comments

Popular Posts